How We Think About Golioth at Golioth

Originally published at: How We Think About Golioth at Golioth - Golioth

This is an excerpt from our bi-monthly newsletter. You can sign up for future newsletters here. Last week, we announced our new pricing and “free device management” for individual developers. Golioth’s prices have outwardly changed, making our platform more accessible for a wide variety of use cases. Internally, however, the change is more impactful. We’ve created a new framework for our pricing that better aligns with how we think about Golioth as a product and the value we provide to our customers. “Device Management” often carries ambiguity in the industry, let’s clarify how we, at Golioth, define this category and it’s distinction from other areas of our IoT development platform. Here’s how we think about Golioth from a product perspective: Golioth is broken up into three distinct product feature sets: Device Management Data Routing Application Services These three categories make up what we call an “IoT development platform” here at Golioth. Device Management We think of device management as the category of features that every single IoT device on the planet needs. When I first joined Golioth, I called these “table stakes” features: Software Updates (OTA), Logging, Settings, Remote Procedure Calls, Credentials, and the ability to view your devices online/offline status in a UI. Now, all of us at Golioth, myself included call these “basic rights” of an IoT developer. These are features you simply cannot live without as an operator of a production fleet of IoT devices. Data Routing For constrained IoT applications that need to capture sensor readings and send them up to the cloud, it is often very challenging to securely and efficiently get that data to its end destination — whether that be a time series…

1 Like