Giving Users Their Platform Back

Originally published at: Giving Users Their Platform Back - Golioth

Prior to joining Golioth a little over a year ago, I remember being struck by the number of services and features offered by the platform. OTA updates, logging, time-series data storage, a real-time database, settings — the list goes on. Coming from a cloud services background, I felt certain that Golioth was unique amongst its peers in trying to offer every IoT service a product could possibly need, but as I continued to research competitors I was surprised to see that this was the norm, not the exception. It seemed that every platform was racing to cover every service that an internet connected device could ever need. This has resulted in a confusing market for consumers, full of solutions with heavy overlap in service offerings. “Why does every platform feel the need to solve every problem?” I wondered to myself. In hindsight, the answer is obvious: connectivity. In the cloud, where we reside in the luxurious confines of our precision cooled data centers, we don’t spend too much time sweating one more TCP connection. We’ll happily add a managed service to our architecture to avoid having to build something from scratch or, even more importantly, keep it running. In the world of embedded devices, we are not so fortunate. A single device may be expected to run on battery for years, and network access may be limited, especially for devices in transit. For example, we’ve gone to great lengths to dramatically reduce how often some devices must perform DTLS handshakes. When deploying thousands, or millions of devices, the margins matter. It makes sense why a connected device platform would try to give you the kitchen sink on your one precious…

1 Like