Firmware update not applied with tags blank

I have a blueprint with two devices with different tags.

If I create a release with this blueprint and the tag for a specific device it works fine. If I leave tags blank the help text says the update will apply to all devices in that blue print but no devices are updated

The ‘total target devices for this release’ field updates from 1 to 2 when remove all tags so it thinks it will apply to both devices but it doesn’t

Can you confirm whether this is a bug or whether I’m doing something wrong?

@john.stuewe thank you for reporting this! The copy and indication of number of devices here is misleading, and we will get that updated promptly. The logic is a follows:

• If no blueprint and no tags are specified, then a release will apply to all devices in the project.
  • If a blueprint is specified, the release will only apply to devices with that blueprint and the exact tags specified.
    • Example: if all devices for the blueprint have at least 1 tag and no tags are specified on the release then none will receive the update.
    • Example: if some devices for the blueprint have no tags and no tags are specified then only the devices with that blueprint and no tags will get the update.
  • If no blueprint is specified, but tags are specified, the release will only apply to devices with the exact tags specified and no blueprint.

This can be summarized by the following:

If any filtering (using blueprints or tags) is applied, the release will only apply to devices which match the provided filters exactly.

The copy is intended to indicate that leaving both blueprint and tags blank will cause the release to apply to all devices in the project, but I agree that is not what is being communicated.

Thanks for clarifying.
That’s unfortunate. I prefer the way it’s documented over the way it’s implemented.
How can I update all devices in a blueprint without creating a separate release for each tag?

@john.stuewe thank you for that feedback! Currently you would need to create multiple releases for each permutation of tags. The rationale for this behavior is maintaining the ability to target only devices with a blueprint and no tags. If providing a blueprint and no tags targeted all devices with that blueprint regardless of tags, then it would not be possible to only target devices with that blueprint and no tags. On the other hand, with the current functionality, OTA updates can be rolled out to all devices for a blueprint regardless of tag by using multiple releases (as you mentioned), while still preserving the ability to target devices with a blueprint and no tags.

Nevertheless, your feedback is valuable and appreciated and it is clear that we can take steps to improve both the visibility into what devices are impacted by a release and the targeting functionality supported by the OTA service in general. We’ll be sure to publish updates to the service in the changelog.